Into the Sea: Love, Death, and Other Near Misses

July 1, 2015

Well, it’s the first day of July, which means it’s the anniversary — number 29, which is almost unfathomable — of the day I was nearly killed in a small-plane collision over Nantucket Sound.

With me in the airplane was the spindly and beautiful Dorothy Meyer, who shares with me forever this profound split-second of fate. I have no idea what her own recollections of that day might be, but mine remain crystal clear.

In interviews I’m often asked about my most memorable or frightening close call. Apparently a lot of people dig hearing pilots talking about being scared or screwing up. The fact that my one and only answer takes us all the way back to 1986, when I was but a 20 year-old private pilot at the controls of a Piper four-seater, should underscore the incredible safety of flying in general, and especially of commercial flying.

But more than that, it’s just a good story.

CLICK HERE TO READ IT

8 Responses to “Into the Sea: Love, Death, and Other Near Misses”
  1. Scary for sure-once on Westair Cessna claiming out of SMF captain looking left, co-pilot down at approach charts out of the sun comes a single engine plane that came so close to hitting us I could see the fillings in the pilots teeth (exaggeration) – neither pilot saw it, I never said anything as I was in hear stopping shock – never wanted to be on the ground more even though danger was over – had hard time getting on AA DC-10 to JFK same day.

How did you learn to weave metaphors so well not your writing? You are one of the best I’ve ever read, and I’m not trying to KYA.

Your math is getting too hard proving I’m human

2. Nicholas Robinson says:

Although I read it before, reading it again was a pleasure. Easily one of your best pieces, Patrick.

3. Rod says:

Yes, Love Cats. Stuck in my head too.

Well fortunately the sky is a very big place. And you can scan it till you’re blue in the face and still have a mid-air. But then you can get hit by a meteor too. A strong dose of active vigilance with a pinch of fatalism would seem best.

4. Vinny Noggin says:

No, actually it’s all true:

Preparing Cats for Air Travel

“Acclimate your cat to air travel over an extended period. Leave the air carrier open at home so your cat can enter and exit it. Place enticing toys and treats inside to encourage exploration. Reward your cat when it enters the carrier. As your day of departure gets closer, place a comfort object with your scent in the carrier that you can keep inside when your cat travels in the cabin.”

5. Now I’ve got Love Cats stuck in my head. I had a similar experience nearly colliding with a boat in the middle of the ocean and I still shudder to think of it.

This is beautiful Patrick, hope she gets to read it.

6. Andrew Sommer says:

A really nice read and thanks for sharing it.

I knew a girl like that once too, and my date with her ended pretty much the way yours did. Life goes on from there…

7. FatguyfromQueens says:

So have you crossed paths with Dorothy lately? Does she know you blogged about your shared experience? Is she married with 2.2 kids in the ‘burbs?

Sorry but after re-reading this I’m intensely curious.

• Nicholas Robinson says:

Dorothy lives with her husband, Herb, in a semi-detached bungalow in Rockaway, New Jersey, very close to where the mobster Paul Vario used to have a residence.

She’s an insurance claims adjuster and he runs a CD and vinyl shop in Bensonhurst.

They have no children, but two dogs named Sally and Patrick.

Patrick is a pitbull.