The Silent Anniversary

Eighteen years ago today, American Airlines flight 587, an Airbus A300 bound for the Dominican Republic, crashed after takeoff from Kennedy Airport in New York City. A catastrophe to be sure; it was also the last multiple-fatality crash involving a major American airline. Here’s a look into one the most significant and impressive accomplishments in U.S. aviation history.

By Patrick Smith, up now on the Points Guy website. Click below to read.


Back to the Ask the Pilot Home Page Visit the Blog Archive Back to Top!

Leave a Comment

Maximum 1500 characters. Watch your spelling and grammar. Poorly written posts will be deleted!

7 Responses to “The Silent Anniversary”
You are viewing newest comments first. Click to reverse order
  1. Carlos Si says:

    Hahah, “multiple” fatality accident. Sadly, unfortunately, it’s no longer been 18 years since we’ve had a fatality on a major airline, period.

  2. Michael G Kennedy says:

    And . . . I worked in the pilot training department of a large airline during that 18 year period. Coincidence? I think not.

  3. chandelle says:

    Nice article as ever. I only demur about “…when the inevitable accident finally comes”. Something is inevitable when it’s unavoidable and certain to happen – and air crashes are not, or don’t have to be. Ask Qantas 🙂

  4. Mark says:

    Woo-hoo! TPG rates MCO (Orlando) the 2nd most affordable airport.

    Of course, I only point this out because the majority of the flying public care more about cost than safety. Here in Florida, we care more about building roads and bridges quickly than caring about how safe they are (FIU bridge collapse). More examples abound…but it’s not just here in “The Sunshine State”. 🙁

  5. Deborah says:

    I fly a lot. That day I was not, but I was away from home. And I sat in my rental car, listening to the report on the radio, stunned. Because I had my own 9/11 experience.

  6. Stephanie says:

    I remember that day vividly. I was trying to get back to Newark from SFO (after a horrible vacation), and because it was so soon after 9/11 they closed all of NYC airspace until they could rule out another terrorist attack. I had to cool my heels at SFO for several hours, giving me the impetus to finally get a cell phone.

    • Patrick says:

      I was flying (as a passenger) into Kennedy from Amsterdam that morning. About two hours prior to landing, the captain announced there’d been an incident and the airport was closed; we’d be diverting to Bradley Airport in Connecticut. Everyone on the plane more or less assumed the “incident” had something to do with terrorism, this being only two months since the 9/11 attacks.

      Then, a little while later, he made another announcement informing us that the airport had reopened.

      We were one of the first, if not the first plane to land after the crash. My flight to Boston was leaving from La Guardia, and I’ll always remember getting into the taxi in front of Kennedy’s old Terminal 3. The airport was deserted, the roadways completely empty. No people, no traffic, no planes. It was positively eerie.